Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A Freebie For Everyone: Quilt Block Collection

This may not be your "typical" quilt block, but when I went through my grandmother's quilts I did not find one single quilt that was exactly symertic, with matching colors, etc. What I found was the true essence of what quilts are all about.

My grandmother was born in 1898 and passed away when my son was in kindergarten. She and my grandfather were plain, simple "country folk" from North Carolina. My grandfather was a Baptist preacher. Since money was hard to come by in those days (my dad was born in 1931) a lot of things had to be homemade.

My grandmother used whatever was available to make her quilts. Sometimes the colors didn't quite go together (but of course now they are considered folk art.) She used scraps from something like maybe an old shirt or pair of pants to make the quilts that kept my dad and his 5 brothers and sisters warm in the winter in those NC mounatins.

Although the "commercial" quilts are beautiful and I know a lot of love goes into making them, I still love my grandmother's 'rag-tag' quilts the best.

Here is my tribute to the good old country quilt: the Quilt Block Collection. Notice I threw in an alphabet in this collection. And don't forget to come back tomorrow when I will offer the Quilt Block Collection Add On!

1 comment:

Maria said...

Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the DigiFree Digital Scrapbooking Freebie search engine today (look for timestamp: 26 Aug [LA 12:00am, NY 02:00am, UK 07:00am, OZ 05:00pm] ).