Saturday, May 31, 2008

New Template Series: First Up is the Washington DC Template Freebie

It's finally here (for those of you who started this whole ball of wax with my State Template Series) the Major Cities of the World Template Series!!! The first installment in this series , as promised, is the Washington, DC Template.

Here are a few facts and guidelines when working with this particular set of templates:
1. This series is a little more difficult to design because I don't have the luxury of using state or country outlines for journaling boxes or frames.

2. Some of these elements will be from pictures and therefore you may not be able to color them just with the paint bucket (or fill) tool. When I have a photo to "color" I sometimes add a pattern instead of a solid color OR in Paint Shop Pro I go to effects>texture >sulpture> then pick a pattern and get the result I want. See the example from my Italy Template.

3. I am trying my best to highlight the template with things that people would recognize from the city I am showcasing. I can't put everything in a city on a single template. I also do not mean to sterotype or do anything politically incorrect. Not everyone will be happy with my designs. Please realize that I am doing the best I can and I do it because I enjoy making stuff for people to use. If it gets to the point where too many people are complaining about the templates, I'll stop making them. It won't be fun anymore. (Sorry, some of you know why I am saying this...)

4. Some elements, like Abe in this template, are overlays and aren't especially meant to be colored completely (unless you want to.) Just leaving it the color it is will show up on a solid background as a very striking (yet somewhat lighter...hence the overlay) finish to your template. However, you can do whatever you like with good 'ol Abe.

Have a blast scrapping all your travels with this new series of templates! I can't wait to see the layouts!

3 comments:

makeyesup said...

I've been waiting patiently for this one as I took a trip there the end of April. Template is perfect as it shows off many of the highlights of the area. There is so much there, it would be impossible to show it all. Thanks a bunch. Now I have to really concentrate on my photos.

Deltapdawn said...

Ok, but you OWE me a layout to post!!!! LOL

Patamomma said...

Thanks so much. I have friends that just went there and I will grab a couple of their pics to do for them. This will be perfect. I hate to think that anyone would complain about a freebie. If it's not exactly what they want, they don't have to use it. Thanks for all your hard work, and yes I imagine that you can't get everything from one state or city onto one template. Patty